In addition to all the basic filing methods such as dragging messages, using File to Folder (Ctrl+Shift+V), and Outlook Rules, NEO has two Quick File features:
Click Quick File on the ribbon or on the right-click menu (or press Ctrl+I).
This will immediately file the message to your designated Quick File folder.
Use it when you use (primarily) a single folder to file your messages.
Click Recent on the ribbon or Quick File Recent on the right-click menu (or press Ctrl+Alt+V). This displays a list of your most recently filed-to folders for easy selection .
Use the accelerator keys for quick selection. For example, pressing M will file immediately to the Meetings folder.
You can change the Quick File Recent menu using the Clear List and Disable List Updates commands.
Before using Quick File you need to designate which folder you want as your Quick File folder:
1. Right-click on any message then click Quick File Recent | Set Quick File Folder.. .
2. Select where you want the folder created, then click New.
3. Enter a name (e.g., QuickFiled or Current Year).
4. Click Ok then click Close.
Backspace is an easy key to hit, so in NEO we let you assign Backspace to one of three frequently-used workflow operations: Make Inactive, or one of two Quick File commands:
1. File to your Quick File folder, or
2. Display the Quick File Recent menu.You can get more productivity by setting your Backspace key.
If you file frequently to specific folders, 'Display the Quick File recent menu' is a good choice.
If you mostly want to quickly move messages from your Inbox, choose 'File to the Quick File folder'. Try each one to see what works best for you.
Note that Backspace is an additional (surrogate) key. You can always use the permanent key to perform each action. For example, you might want to use these keys if you have assigned Backspace to Make a message Inactive. Here are the permanent keys:
Quick File Recent
Two commands on the Quick File Recent menu allow you to manage the list of folders that appears on the list.
Use Clear List to remove the list of entries that have been added. Use Disable List Updates to prevent new entries from appearing on the list.
Suppose you wanted to set a specified list so that it was unchangeable. This is particularly desirable when you want to use accelerator keys for selecting folders to file to. If you set Backspace to display the Quick File Recent menu then filing to folders is as easy as pressing Backspace then the first letter of the folder you want to file to.
Here's a way to set that up:
1. Click Clear List if you want it to be different that what it is.
2. Create your folders and file a message (a test message perhaps) to each of the folders you want. If you are particular about the order, file last to the folder you want on the top.
3. Click Disable List Updates. This will prevent future updates to the list.
If your folders have the first initial letter, you will have to press the letter twice (or you can rename one of the folders). When you want to have NEO add new folders to the list, uncheck Disable List Updates.
Messages not always need to be (or can be) handled when they come in. Often you like to postpone an item until a later, better moment.
NEO Pro now offers the possibility to Snooze an item until later. Keyboard shortcut: Alt+Backspace
When clicking Snooze until Later the following steps are taken:
1. A Date/Time dialog opens to define until when the item needs to be snoozed.
2. After clicking OK, the item is then removed from the message list:
o NEO Pro will move the item from the inbox into the Snoozed Items folder (and creates it when not yet defined – see below for the details).
o The Read flag and Active Mail flag are removed from the item so it’s no longer visible in either the inbox or the Active Mail folder.
3. The Snoozed Item appears in the NEO Pro Snoozed Items (virtual) folder to maintain control over these items.
4. In this folder it shows in orange sorted on Snooze Date/Time (ascending) so it’s immediately clear when the Snoozing elapses and which item elapses first.
When the Snooze time elapses, NEO Pro is doing the following:
1. The item is moved back onto the main message list:
o The item is moved back into the inbox.
o The Read flag and Active Mail flag (if used) are added again to the item.
o The item shows in green with the original Snoozed Date/Time so it sits on top of the list (so it’s clear this is not a new but an UnSnoozed item).
2. The Snoozed Item is moved into the NEO Pro Snooze elapsed Items (virtual) folder (under the Status tab)
3. The assigned Snooze Date/Time is still showing to force the item to the top of the message list thereby (together with the green color) giving it good visibility.
4. To finalize the unsnoozing, user can right-click the green, unsnoozed item and select Unsnooze Item (or select this from the Snooze until Later button on the Ribbon). This will remove the Snooze Date/Time and restore the original Date/Time thus sorting it to its original location in the list (although this last step is not strictly necessary). This step also removes the green color and removes the message from the Snoozed elapsed Items folder.
Remark: colors used for Snoozing/UnSnoozing can be defined under Tools, Options, Format tab.
When snoozing an item, NEO Pro uses a dedicated Outlook folder to move the item to from the inbox. This way items can never get lost and the item can even be located within Outlook itself without using NEO Pro.
When such folder is not yet defined when snoozing an item, NEO Pro will create the folder ‘__SnoozedItems_NEOPro’ underneath the inbox and prompt the user to confirm to use this folder (optionally the user can create / choose another folder).
Only first time the user needs to confirm the dedicated Outlook folder which will be used for this functionality.
To control Snoozed and UnSnoozed items, NEO Pro is adding the selected Snooze Until… date/time to the message. This is stored in a user definable message property and thus not interfering with the original date/times from the message.
The Snoozed Date/Time is used by NEO Pro to show and sort the items during snoozing in the Snoozed Items folder of NEO Pro (in ascending order so the first item to elapse is shown on top).
When an item unsnoozes, it is moved back into the inbox and Active Mail folder but still showing this Snooze Until date/time. This way the item just unsnoozed will show on top of the message list instead of its original location further down in the list which would render it invisible. The still visible Snooze Until date/time together with the green color of the item makes it very visible as an UnSnoozed item not to be confused with a new item.
To remove the green color and the Snooze Until date/time, the user can select Unsnooze Item from the Ribbon button – following this, it is sorted again according its original date/time.
Two new (virtual) NEO Pro folders are used for this functionality – both folders are located under the Status tab:
- Snoozed Items: All snoozed items (and thus not visible in inbox or Active Mail anymore) are available in this NEO Pro folder. This folder is by default also added to the Hot View.
- Snooze elapsed Items: Unsnoozed items that moved back into the inbox and Active Mail folder but are still showing in green with the Snooze Until time (see the additional Date/Time indicator) are also visible in this new NEO Pro folder. From here they can be Unsnoozed to show the original Date/Time again – when selecting Unsnooze Item, they will immediately be removed from this folder.
Snoozed items can always be ‘Snoozed’ again to change/update the Snooze Until date/time.
To remove a Snoozed item from its Snoozed status, select the item and click Unsnooze Item from the right-click menu or from the Snooze Until Later drop-down menu on the Ribbon. The item will then be moved back into the inbox and Active Mail folder, the Snooze Until date/time is removed so it will show in its original location in the inbox.
When an item UnSnoozes and shows in green in the inbox/Active Mail folder, it can be Snoozed again by clicking the Snooze Until Later button.
The two colors used in NEO Pro to distinguish Snoozed/UnSnoozed items can be defined under Tools, Options, Format tab.
As Snoozing an item is basically setting a To Do Later flag, this makes Snoozing and setting a To Do flag mutually exclusive. So an item is either Snoozed or is having a To Do flag and thus showing in the resp. folder according the assigned status.